La Brague basin
OVERVIEW OF DEMO AIM
The mountains located near the French Mediterranean coast are regularly subject to severe rainfalls, and consequently to torrential floods. On 3rd, Oct. 2015, a dramatic flood occurred in the region between Cannes and Nice (twenty peoples died, 550-650M€ of losses). Three rivers experience particularly dramatic floods in 2015:
- The Riou de l’Argentière (47 km², mountainous basin),
- The Frayères (22 km², rural headwaters, urban lowlands),
- The Brague (68 km², rural and forested basin, urban lowlands).
The latter has been chosen as DEMO site for its bigger size, greater diversity and more numerous data.
Nature Based Solutions
- Optimized forest management with adapted protection structures is assumed to improve torrential flood mitigation.
- Both population and economy benefit from them.
- Natural Assurance Scheme are to be defined.
Main outcomes sought
- Improved knowledge on torrential flood processes (wildfires and woody debris aggravation roles, etc.).
- Definition of alternative insurance business models and new multi-criteria decision making tools accounting for ecosystems and protection systems effectiveness.
- Local cities and rivers managers (Water Agency) -> Final users
- Local administration and decision makers -> decision power
- Environment protection association -> natural areas’ manager
- Insurance companies and CCR -> Insurance business managers