The Duero river basin Water Authority has more geologists, economist, hydrologist, etc), and Administration although is attached for administrative purposes to the Ministry of Agricultu Environment of Spain. The Duero River Basin Authority is the competent authority for waters within their territory, which extends to the Spanish part of the Duero Basin. According to Article 23 of the Consolidated Text of the Water Law, approved by Legislative Royal Decree 1/2001, of 20 July, the CHD has the following responsibilities:
- The elaboration of the River Basin Management Plan, monitoring and review.
- The study, design, construction and operation of the works performed under its own funds, and those assigned by the State.
- The management and control of the Public Water (DPH).
For the administration and management of the river basin Duero, the CHD has authority as:
- Water permits concessions and authorizations.
- Inspection and enforcement of the conditions of authorizations and concessions.
- Ecological flows, hydrological studies, floods and droughts, and water quality control.
Furthermore, one of the mayor duties is to prevent deterioration, protect and enhance the status of aquatic ecosystems, in order to achieve the good status of water bodies, both surfac to the Water Framework Directive. As a river basin authority, is responsible as well of the development of plans and tools for the implementation of this Directive. Under Article 11, the River Basin Management Plan includes a program of measures, including the improvement and recovery of river ecosystems, in order to achieve the good ecological status of rivers by improving its functioning as ecosystems contribute to sustainable river management and restoration, Also, it is foreseen a program of measures for those groundwater bodies which do not achieve the good status and with pollution and overexploitation problems. Both programs of measures encourage citizen participation and environmental education and public participation. Finally, the Duero River Basin Authority has historically experienced in dealing with EU funds and projects.